Monday, June 08, 2009

password changes

It's funny how some completely annoying and/or menial tasks seem not so annoying when you put things in perspective. Yes, I'm sure you can say that about a lot of things in life, but today I was thinking about password changes.

As I was getting off the metro and making my now weekly stop at Whole Foods on the way to work to pick up some healthy foods for snacks and lunch at work, I looked at my watch and sighed that yet another hour and a half of my life had been spent on a work commute. I try not to get frustrated at the utter waste of 3 hours I endure each day because I truly am grateful to be going someplace where I love working.

Last year at this time, I was on the way to becoming extremely pessimistic about my chances at every getting back to this job or to another job where I felt challenged and occasioanlly valued. I hated coming into work and my attitude showed. When I started that job last year, I promised myself that I'd be out before I had to change my password. Well, when May came around and I was being prompted to change my Windows password, I kept delaying it because I was hoping that a miracle would occur. Eventually I changed it because I had no choice, but make no mistake, I did so under duress. (obviously I'm prone to exaggeration). Anyway, when I had to change my password again in August, I was again really frustrated, but I kept trying to tell myself that eventually my situation would change. It changed shortly thereafter because by September, I was out of that hellhole and back to my great old job that I was foolish to leave.

Now, when I get prompted to change my password every 3 months for 3 different password required systems, I stifle the urge to sigh or roll my eyes. While it might be a minor inconvenience to think of easy to remember passwords that have a capital letter, a number and a symbol every 3 months, I'd much rather do it at this job than anywhere else. And while there days I'd really like to spend less than 3 hours on the metro or 1.5 hours driving, I will be continue to be grateful to going to a job that I enjoy. Plus, at least my commute gives me time to read a book everyday!

1 comment:

NatCraft said...

Umm... I just had to admit to someone that I have been at said "hellhole" for nearly two years now. Soon enough you'll be telecommuting and I'll be changing my password for the 67th time.